Sunday, April 7, 2013

Smash-ing in Exile


This much maligned NBC series made its death-march to the shameful Saturday slot tonight. I watched in solidarity.  Everyone is forecasting the end of this show, but I have to say, I honestly do not get what all the Smash-hate is about. I only started watching it this season, and then I went back and watched the first season. True, it's not a perfect show, perhaps a little too melodramatic and soapy, but it does stand apart from a lot of the other shows out there by its subject matter alone. As a Broadway fan, I'm inclined to like it, but I guess the majority of Americans simply aren't interested.

In my opinion, this show has more going for it than it's nearest competition, Glee (which I also like). Glee may have more musical performances per episode, but Smash performs more original music and they've proved with this season that they can explore the NY theatre community at-large instead of just remaining focused on one production like in the first season. If they are serious about the fictional musicals they are developing, they could easily translate those works to the real world. Would people like it more if it was less about the behind-the-scenes fictional drama, and instead more of a showcase for talent, new and old? A place for thespians to go when it's not Tony season?

Tonight's episode alone featured Megan Hilty, Christian Borle, Jesse L. Martin, Daphne Rubin-Vega, and Miz Liza Minelli herself. Theatre people are coming out of the woodwork to support (or at least, guest-star on) this show. Actual composers and songwriters such as Shaiman & Wittman, Pasek & Paul, and Andrew McMahon are creating the music. I don't understand why a show with so much talent is failing. I thought America loved talent shows?

Maybe it's Broadway's fault. As much as there is a hunger for good new material, there's also a perpetual, self-defeating nostalgia for old works. And for too long, live theatre has had trouble competing with filmed entertainment. That's why I think it would be cool if the two could work together in bringing theatre to the masses. Don't tell me there's room in pop culture for Les Mis, but not for Miz Liza?

No comments:

Post a Comment